Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I made a U-turn


I was driving to meet a customer. I know I will take this certain road, then turn off at point X. I have been using this particular road to go to my office for many years. Only thing is I'll not turn left at point X, but go straight towards my office.

I was listening to music on the cd, thinking my many thoughts, when I realised I've over-shot my exit point and was driving straight towards the direction of my office! Old habits!! Aaargghh. Now I've to to drive on for at least 500m before the next U-turn, and from that U-turn, I'll have to drive 2.5 km to reach my intended destination!

Have you ever experience the moments when you were driving home and reached your destination without really remembering what happened, except that there was no accidents involving you? That's the sub-conscious mind guiding you home. It's also something called 'Unconscious competency' (one of the 4 stages of Competency)

Of course I was rather upset with myself. Wasted time, because I was not concentrating on the road, not focused! And I allowed my old habits to guide me. Althought this particular habit is neither good or bad, it costs me TIME.

How many times have we allowed our old habits get in the way of what we really want to achieve?

We want more customers. We know we need to make the calls. But the habit of procrastination is easier.

We want better relationships. We know we need to spend time with the people who matters to us. But the habit of accomodating ourselves first (and selfishness) is easier

We want self-improvement. We should read the book, listen to the motivational CD. But the habit of sitting in front of the TV is easier.

The good news is - there's always a U-turn in front. It may be very near, or may be a little further away, or may even be quite far ahead. But the U-turn is always there. It's up to us to take the U-turn. And the more U-turns we missed, the longer it'll take us to get to our desired destination.

I U-turned. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment